Teeth grinding and clenching is also known as bruxism. Bruxism is a common dental problem usually caused by stress and can result in:
- worn, fractured or chipped teeth;
- chronic headaches;
- loss of sleep;
- jaw problems, neck and shoulder pain.
Continuing to leave the symptoms of teeth grinding untreated may require crown therapy to restore the natural function of the tooth. Other symptoms that may occur if teeth grinding is left untreated may include:
- flat, worn enamel on the chewing surfaces of the teeth;
- eroded or chipped enamel along the necks of the teeth near the gum-lines. This exposes internal dentin and makes teeth sensitive and susceptible to dental disease;
- misaligned, crooked or loose teeth;
- broken, cracked or chipped teeth.
The team at Charming Smile Dental Jersey City will treat the symptoms and recommend a host of behavioral modifications and products designed to stop the causes of teeth grinding. We will also talk to you about the benefits of orthodontics to realign teeth and the use of an bite guard to decrease the negative effects of grinding.
Contact Charming Smile Dental Jersey City for a comprehensive evaluation and to alleviating the symptoms of teeth grinding.